Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Pillow


I cannot sleep without my favorite pillow. Now this may be disgusting to some. When I got married in 1973 we were given 2 very good quality feather pillows as a gift. My pillow is 35 years old! Honest! I can't remember what happened to its partner. I was divorced in 1982, perhaps my ex got the other one.


Several years ago I had to put pillow into another case as I was waking up every morning with feathers in my hair. I don't dare take it out of the case because I am sure it would disintegrate. Don't worry I always put a another pillowcase over that one. So it is clean....well sort of. it smells just fine to me. Although sometime mornings when I don't wash my hair and just use the blowdryer to fluff it up I get a whiff of sort of a mildewy, little old lady scent.


I have honestly tried to find a replacement for pillow, but nothing can equal it wonderful squishyness. I recently tried to wean myself off pillow, but after 4 nights of tossing and turning I admitted defeat, snuggled up with pillow and slept like a baby. Pillow also scrunches down nicely to fit in my suitcase for travel.


I guess pillow is my grownup wooby. It took the place of BUNNY, my pink stuffed Easter bunny I got as child. BUNNY slept with me every night of my life until I got married. Bunny was very special because he was pink. I grew up with 2 aunts that were close to my age. We always got the same things, but in different colors. I was always given blue, Judy got yellow and Holly always got pink. I felt Holly was the favorite because she got pink. That Easter a mistake was made and I got the PINK BUNNY. I was thrilled.
When I had children I let them have BUNNY to play with. One day I realized that I had not seen BUNNY in a while and started a search. No luck. I asked my then husband if he had seen BUNNY. He said he had thrown BUNNY away because he was disgusting. BUNNY was a little threadbare, his color more gray than pink and his little music box only a memory, but he was NOT disgusting. He knew how I felt about BUNNY. We got divorced not too long after that I believe. I am sure if we were still married, pillow would have joined my beloved BUNNY a long time ago. No heart, that man.

4 comments:

Mama Smurf said...

LOL! I have a total pillow "thing" too. I waste lots of money trying to find that perfect pillow. I have found it and I bought several so that when one starts to get yucky I can switch.

Brooke said...

I remember the same thing with Tobie. I always got blue or if I was lucky yellow. Tobie always got pink or purple. Must have been because you never baptized me at the Catholic church like they wanted.

Rozzbin said...

LOL! You are right, the other grandkids of grandma Blanche would get money at Christmas and you got a very cheap plastic baby brush. She made a big deal passing out the envelopes of money to the other kids in front of us. I was pissed to say the least. You would not believe the carrying on when they found out I wouldn't have you christened at the Catholic church.

I think Kathleen christened Tobie so she wouldn't go through the drama that happened with you. Other than being christened, Tobie has probably never set foot in a Catholic church.

Anonymous said...

You are crackin me up because I used to have a pillow like that. I got it during my first marriage so I think it would have be about 25 years old when I tossed it. It had lost so many feathers or they had broken down so much that the pillow, scrunched up, was about the size of a cantalope. I did not wash it in all those years - euwww! I am sure it must have been just dust mites left, no feathers at all. I have a new pillow I just love and I bought it at Tar-jay.