Friday, November 7, 2008

The love of my life!

Many years ago, shortly after my husband and I divorced, I met and dated a man that I thought was my soul mate. I was completely swept off my feet, head over heels in LOVE. He was........beautiful! Unfortunately, he was also commitment phobic. We went back and forth for several years. I finally realized I was ADDICTED to this man and cut off any contact with him. I did not allow friends to bring up his name. I even wore a rubber band on my wrist for while and snapped it every time I would start thinking about him.

It took a long time, but I did get over him. It helped that he also moved far, far away to another state. I did hear several years ago that he finally did get married......to someone MUCH younger of course. I then found out a couple of years ago that he and his wife had moved back here, but we live in opposite ends of the county. I avoid going to the part of town he lives in or any stores in that area for fear of running into him and his probably gorgeous young wife.

Okay. Today I was standing at the counter talking to a coworker. A man walked in, with his face sort of turned away from me, and I immediately put on the greet the public smile and said "Can I help you?" He turned towards me and I thought that looks like........... then he started to speak....OMG, IT IS HIM! I just turned around and walked right to the back, out of sight. I actually hid out in a back office until he left. I had to hide for about 40 minutes.

Why did I do that? I have gained a LOT of weight since I saw him last many, many years ago. I have no idea if he even had time to register who I was I left so quickly. He only got about two words out. Fortunately, my coworker said he hadn't noticed that I had walked away.

When you run into an old boyfriend you want to look really, really good. You want him to think "Damn, she looks hot. I should have hung onto her." not "Damn, she looks like shit. Glad I didn't stay with her." Although I was having a good hair day, the weight, wearing my Disney sweatshirt and big ole clunky Keen sandals (with white socks) did not make me feel at all old boyfriend worthy.

He, on the other hand, looked fantastic. I now have to quit my job and move to another state.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

who is it? Maybe he has moved back here for a reason. I have connections you know, I can always do a little research about him.

Rozzbin said...

Thanks, but I only want to know how to AVOID him. At least until I lose 50 pounds :-). He probably moved back to be near his parents, as they are pretty old. Older than Nana. He is married.

Mama Smurf said...

He was probably thinking the same darn things you were! Give yourself more credit than that girl!

Rozzbin said...

I swear he hadn't changed one little bit! He looked great. Well, he will be coming into my office many times over the next several months, so I will just have to face the music eventually. I realistically cannot lose 50 pounds in 2 weeks, and it is not possible for me to hide every time he comes in.

I did buy a new outfit today for work and am going to try to look my best EVERY day. My office is very casual. My usual outfit is jeans, Keen sandals and a men's polar fleece jacket. The heat doesn't work very well in there. Not very flattering.

Today I bought a nice WOMEN'S light weight chocolate brown cordoroy jacket that pretty much goes with most of my clothes and I guess I could start wearing my regular shoes to work. They had the jacket in navy blue also. I might just go back and get it tomorrow. They were on sale for 60% off.