Thursday, July 24, 2008

Connections

I read Tammy's blog today about her cousin and it reminded me of a gal I met many years ago.
I was out with friends one evening at a popular hot spot and it was very crowded. A couple asked if they could sit at our table. The gal (Kathy) and I just clicked and had a ball. Over the months we would run into each other and catch each other up on what was happening in our lives. Our first meeting I learned that she had a boyfriend for 7 years who helped her raise her son and they had broken up a few weeks before. She said he was really wonderful, but he wanted to get married and have a child and she didn't. They were still in contact with each on a friends basis.

I met this guy (Mike) and started dating him. Really nice and absolutely adorable. I talked to Kathy after I had dated Mike a few times and told her I had met someone and what a great guy he was.

Mike and I been dating about 2 months and one night while talking I told him about meeting this gal and how we had this immediate connection like we had always known each other. I did not tell him her name. As I kept talking he started getting this funny, uncomfortable look on his face and then asked "what is her name".

Kathy was his ex-girlfriend. She had told him about me too, but no one made the connection until that moment. He told Kathy about it and she thought it was wonderful and was happy we had gotten together.

One month later...................I had been out of town and came back early so decided to stop by Mike's house, sure that he would be delighted to see me. I walked in and Kathy was there and they were both quite cozy, half dressed and sipping wine at 7:00 in the evening with that rosy post coital afterglow. HA!!! They were shocked to see me. I sat down and acted like everything was normal and asked Kathy how she had been since I had not seen her for a while. They kind of stammered and obviously were waiting for me to blow up. I didn't. Mike finally asked if I wanted a glass of wine. I said "sure". I drank my wine and made pleasant small talk and then said "nice seeing you, but I have to go." and left.

To this day I have no idea how I pulled that off. I never saw or heard from either one of them ever again. Ah, the joys of dating.

2 comments:

Mama Smurf said...

Oh my...I'm so sorry my story reminded you of THAT! LOL!

Man...and I was getting all sentimental and gooshy inside waiting for the happy ending!! What a disappointing story!!

Rozzbin said...

Oh, I wasn't broken hearted about the guy. Didn't bother me that they got back together, just that they did it behind my back. I had not gotten to the point of thinking he was "the one".

I could write a book about my misadventures in dateland. Haven't found the happy ending yet.