Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Got a raise.....sort of

I am a union member, not by choice. They say you have a choice, but if you refuse to join the union you don't get the job...then it is payroll deduction. It is a joke. They appear to be representing my employer, not their card-carrying, dues-paying members.

So got a raise. Yippee!!! I got a whopping $25 more a week. Now, everyone was pretty happy because that is double of what we usually get. We kept thinking there must be a catch. Last night our new contract was signed, sealed and delivered and now in effect. Less than 24 hours later we found out what the catch was. My contribution to the retirement fund was raised, so in my paycheck I am really getting $13 more per week. In the past 3 years my contribution has been raised from 1.8% to 5.4%, wiping out very much of an increase in my take-home pay. Everytime I get a raise, my monthly union dues are also raised.

On the bright side....I HAVE A JOB, with medical, dental, vision, etc. and for the moment my job is pretty secure. We had some open positions and they decided to do a hiring freeze, so they don't have to let people go.

I also have a plan in place in case I do get laid off. This gal will be heading SOUTH to the warm sunny climate of San Antonio.

So for the moment, I am happy I have a job and probably should make myself a bright, sunny, nose-to-the-grindstone employee. This means I need to keep my mouth shut and keep my opinions to myself. That is going to be TOUGH! I love telling people what to do.

Have to go...So you think you can dance is on!!!!! Love that show.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay, so I know you won't get laid off unless something catastrophic happens at the county. You're too good of an employee for that to happen. BUT......I do need a playmate down here in the sun! We could head down to the river once a week for toobing and lots of other fun stuff all year round. Guess I will have to settle for your once or twice a year visits for now. =)

Rozzbin said...

With the state of the economy I feel like it would be pretty scary to move. On the other hand, I almost hope they would lay me off, because it would give me an excuse to move. Heavens knows there are no jobs here.

Ya never know.